Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Hanoi, Part 1

Hanoi is a bustling, vibrant city with a lot of people and even more motorbikes. Sorry to sound like a Lonely Planet guide ;). Truth be told, this old, dirty city is nothing like Seoul, South Korea. And that's probably the reason I loved it so much. Southeast Asia and Central Asia are like night and day. The former being much more raw (seems to be the buzzword in those parts), unorganized, cheap, loud, and teeming with foreigners. I understand why.

Vietnam has got to be one of the coolest places I have ever been. The food was incredible, the coffee out of this world, the people exceptionally friendly (and actually attempt to speak English!), and it's full of recent and very relevant history. History of which, I am ashamed to say, I didn't know much about. Thankfully with David as my personal tour guide I was able to learn a lot about the country and the Vietnam War.

Here are some photos from Saturday in Hanoi.

_MG_3787 copy
DMS and Bun Cha (yum)
_MG_3791 copy
motorbike taxi nap
_MG_3788 copy
best $1 meal I've ever had. Bun Cha is one of the most popular street foods in Hanoi. Charcoal-grilled pork meat balls, rice noodles, thinly sliced cucumbers, carrots, onions in a delicious broth.
_MG_3806 copy
Ming
_MG_3807 copy
street punks throwing cards

_MG_3803 copy
Duc and his girlfriend's son Ming. Might as well been his kid, he loved him so much. Duc is a Vietnamese-American journalist who moved back to Vietnam a few years ago. He opened a great coffee shop/gallery Tadiota where I spent many hours last week. He was gracious enough to allow us to stay at his INCREDIBLE house in the mountains for New Years Eve...pics to follow
_MG_3819 copy
44 Son Tay

No comments:

Post a Comment