Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hiroshima Peace Park

I've had several people ask since I posted these pictures, "did people treat you weird/rudely/different because you were an American in Hiroshima?" and I feel I should address that question now. Japanese people, whether influenced by their religion or just innate outlook on life, do not seem to hold grudges. As a whole, I noticed that the Japanese were very calm, reserved, patient, kind and friendly. When I was walking through Peace Park, I kept thinking to myself..."I don't belong here...they are probably offended by my being here..." but it wasn't like that at all. An old man shared his crackers so I could feed the birds with him. I think the Japanese realize that individual Americans are not responsible for the Atomic bomb. (Especially ones under 30 years old.) It was such a stark contrast to seeing Pearl Harbor two years ago where it was all "THE JAPANESE DID THIS, THEY ARE TO BLAME, THEY ARE THE ENEMY!" Hiroshima was much more a place of love and a memorial to the families and individuals who lost their lives than pointing a finger at the United States. There is a lot I feel we can all learn from them.

_MG_9260 copy
_MG_9271 copy
A-Bomb Dome
_MG_9264 copyb
_MG_9273 copy
_MG_9280 copy
_MG_9284 copy

No comments:

Post a Comment