Friday, January 21, 2011

Silk Farm

I was a little resistant to the idea of going to a Silk farm seeing as I had no need for silk and it just sorta seemed like a kitschy thing to do. But Andrew insisted it was really interesting and boy am I glad we went. I had no idea what a lengthy process it was and how fascinating it truly is. I took way more photos than I've posted here and there are several key steps missing, but I put the ones I thought most photogenic :)

Step 1: Plant mulberry bushes
Step 2: Put silkworm larvae in with said mulberry leaves and let them go to town
_MG_9950 copy
Step 3: Fatten 'em up (they eat for about six weeks straight...)
_MG_9955 copy
Step 4: Let 'em start their spinnin...(cocoons take about 3 to 8 days to make)
_MG_9957 copy
Step 5:  Take the cocoons and get 'em ready for treatment (FACT (that I didn't know): the cocoon has both types of silk: raw and fine. Raw silk is the outside layer and fine, the inside.)

_MG_9959 copy
Step 6: Put cocoons in boiling water and then the silk somehow magically unwinds and becomes tiny tiny threads (this part may have been the coolest, but I didn't get a good photo)
Step 7: Silk is this yellow color so these beautiful ladies spool it before it gets dyed.
_MG_9962 copy
Step 8: Prep for dying
_MG_9965 copy
Step 9: Dyed silk is then put onto spools.
_MG_9970 copy
Step 10: Silk is dyed into several colors using tumuric, black/blueberries, indigo, etc etc
_MG_9983 copy
Step 11: Ladies be weavin' (I made this baby cry)
_MG_9979 copy

No comments:

Post a Comment