Thursday, February 10, 2011

Phnom Penh

After five sun-filled days in Sihanoukville, I headed inland to Phnom Penh, the capital. Phnom Penh has a very recent and very sad history. A week before I arrived was the tragic bridge stampede, in which over 300 people died. But even more impressionable on the psyche of the Cambodian people (and really the world) was the Khmer Rouge regime. I won't go into a long-winded diatribe of the Khmer Rouge and Pot Pot & Co. but it was easily the most horrific and bloody genocides the world has ever seen, and it ended only a few short years ago. I highly recommend reading more about it if you are interested (I think it was something that was gravely over-looked in American history text books), but there will be more photos to come on the subject later.

Wa-whaaa. Anyway, PP was great as I had my first CouchSurfing experience with Elma, and beautiful, wonderful Filipina who had been living in PP for about 8 years. She showed me a side of Phnom Penh I would have otherwise never had a chance to see and was so generous and welcoming to a complete stranger.

Anyway...more pictures to go and then I am FINISHED! with Cambodia. It took a bit longer than I ever expected to edit but there were enough photos to edit to keep me busy for the past 6 weeks.  Here you go.

_MG_0171 copy

No comments:

Post a Comment